Old Street – Central London Zen Group
Old Street – Central London Zen Meditation Group
We are progressing well in the study group. Next week (10 April) we will discuss the chapter ‘The Awakened Way’, page 47 to 49.
Edgar, 5 April 2018
- STUDY GROUP, each Tuesday from 8.00 pm to roughly 8.45 pm. This group is for those who wish to study and discuss fundamental texts of the Zen Buddhist tradition. It is open to everybody, and it is possible to join us at 8.00 for the study session only. But I would encourage everybody of course to come to the zazen sessions as well. None of the texts we are going to study can really be understood without the practice of zazen.
- We will start off studying some writings of Ehei Dogen who is the 13th’s century founder of the Soto Zen school and the author of some of the finest texts every written about Buddhism and Zen. We will use The Essential Dogen. Writings of the Great Zen Master, edited by Kazuaki Tanahashi and Peter Levitt (2013, Boston, London: Shambala). This book is available on Amazon as a paper copy or as Kindle ebook. There is also an excellent audio book version available on Audible, so you can even listen to your Dogen on your way to work!
- We will cover a chapter each week, beginning with ‘Aspiration and Search’ on 23 January. I will have some copies of the book available to share, but I would like to encourage everybody who thinks about participating to buy the book and read the chapters in advance and maybe even write down some notes. From experience, this greatly improves the quality of the discussion.
- Please also read the excellent introduction of The Essential Dogen in advance! Dogen is known for his sometimes literally mind-boggling use of language and you will find it a lot easier to follow if you have prepared yourself a bit.
- Another good and very accessible introduction is Brad Warner (2007). Sit Down And Shut Up. Novato: New World Library, especially pp. 17-29.
- I will ask for a contribution of an extra £3.00 pounds to cover the venue costs for the study group.
Bunhill Fields Friends Meeting House (Quakers)
The meeting house is located within the off-street Quaker Gardens. It can be accessed via Banner Street or Bunhill Row/Chequer Street (opposite the much larger Bunhill Fields park).
Group Responsible: Edgar Koeb
Contact Edgar on 07841 323 260
Old Street – Northern Line
Barbican – Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan lines
Moorgate or Old Street – Great Northern
To help us with our rent and bills, we request £5.00 recommended, £3.00 concessions (really broke? pay what you can) – or monthly £25 recommended, £30 ordained (paying monthly allows you to attend any of the 4 practice places we have in London)